Updated: January 2022
Making homemade Bubble Tea with fresh Boba Pearls. This guide will show how to make Boba Pearls complete with video, pictures and product links.
Bubble Tea Boba Pearls in 9 Steps
Estimated Quantity: 4-6 servings
- 100 Grams Tapicoa Flour Amazon Link
- 90 Grams Muscovado Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar
- 60 Milliliters
- Sauce Pan
- Pyrex Bowl
- Silicone Spoon
- Large Pot
- Measuring Cup
- Slotted Spoon
- Silicone Tray For Boba Molding Amazon Link
- Digital Food Scale Amazon Link
- Large Straws Amazon Link
- Step 1: Premeasure Ingredients
- Using the food scale and 5 measuring cups, measure;
- 100g of tapioca flour, 60ml of water, and 30g of dark brown sugar (for forming boba dough).
- 60ml of water and 60g of dark brown sugar (for soaking boba dough).
- In small saucepan bring 60ml water to a boil and add 30g dark brown sugar or muscovado sugar. Mix thoroughly
- TIP - Dark brown sugar and Muscovado sugar are richer in flavor and make darker color Boba.
- TIP BEFORE ADDING FLOUR - Work quickly during this step, otherwise you’ll be left with Non-Newtonian Fluid.
- Once sugar is well mixed, add half of the tapioca flour. Stir quickly (no more than 5 seconds). Then add remaining flour.
- Let dough cool for about 10 minutes before forming.
- Dough shold still be slightly warm. This will make it easier to make the Boba pearls.
- Knead dough for about 15 seconds.
- Take roughly a third of the dough at a time and break tiny pieces and place in each molding.
- In large pot bring 8 cups of water to a boil. On medium/high flame cook Boba for 8 minutes and drain with slotted spoon.
- On medium/high flame cook Boba for 8 minutes and drain with slotted spoon.
- WHILE COOKING: Complete next step.
- Bring 60 ml of water and 60 g of dark brown sugar to a boil.
- Turn heat down to simmer for 5 minutes.
- In pyrex bowl add COLD water and add cooked Boba.
- Let sit, stirring lightly, for 1 minute.
- Add cooled Boba to sugar reduction and soak on low flame for 8 minutes.
- This step should not produce a boil. This is solely to soak and provide richer flavor to Boba.
- Place desired amount of Boba in serving cup and cool for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, add your favorite drink and enjoy.
Watch each step in full detail in our YouTube video - How to Make Boba Pearls & Bubble Tea At Home
DISCLAIMER: This How-To Guide contains affiliate links to Amazon.com. We may earn a commission if you click on one of the affiliate links and purchase something.